WHAT IN THE WORLD IS GOING ON RIGHT NOW?
BRIEF 2020 RECAP
So far, in this year, I think we can all agree that we’ve all been through a lot. Barely anyone could expect many of the global happenings that have been the greatest milestones of the past few months. Here are just a few of the main events that have land-marked the year of 2020 to this point:
- Kobe’s Bryant’s Death
- I think that we can all recall in detail the heart-wrenching death of one of the most popular sports figures in Los Angeles and celebrity around the globe, whose terrible tragedy gained massive worldwide attention. On the morning of Sunday, January 26 of this year, Bryant was headed from Orange County to his daughter’s tournament at his Sports Academy in Thousand Oaks. In a Sikorsky-S-76B helicopter, him and the flight group, including one of his daughter’s coaches and two of her teammates, encountered thick fog in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles. The helicopter crashed in Calabasas, CA, around 30 miles (48 kilometres) northwest of downtown Los Angeles, while en route from John Wayne Airport to Camarillo Airport.
- Kobe, as well as all others on board, including his 13-year-old daughter Gianna, baseball coach John Altobelli, five other passengers, and the pilot, (9 people total, shown by autopsies) lost their lives.
- It is unclear what caused the crash, as the helicopter was not carrying a flight data recorder or a cockpit voice recorder. Yet the graphic report made it clear: Bryant and the passengers almost certainly were dead in an instant due to blunt trauma. He had to be identified by his fingerprints after his body was found in the dirt outside the wreckage of the chopper. A forensic examination offered reminders of the All-Star who captured the imagination of Lakers fans and who was wearing “multicolored court shoes” the day he died. The autopsy noted a tattoo of a crown on his right shoulder, above where his wife’s name, Vanessa, was imprinted. On the lower right arm were the names of three of his four daughters: Bianka Bella, Natalia Diamante and Gianna Maria-Onore, the daughter who died with him.
- Bryant and his daughter were honored at a star-studded public memorial Feb. 24 at Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles, with 20,000 in attendance at the arena where Bryant spent most of his two-decade career with the Lakers. The date “2/24” intentionally corresponded with the No. 24 jersey he wore, as well as the the No. 2 worn by Gianna. The same day, Vanessa Bryant filed a lengthy lawsuit alleging that Zobayan (the pilot) was careless and negligent to fly in the fog and should have aborted the flight. She also has filed a claim, a precursor to a lawsuit, against the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department after deputies allegedly shared unauthorized photos of the crash site. The helicopter company, Island Express, said it is not responsible for damages, calling the crash, among other things, “an act of God” and “an unavoidable accident” that was beyond its control.
- The death of Bryant sparked multiple remembrances and tributes, including those of incumbent U.S. president Donald Trump, and former U.S. presidents Barack Obama and Bill Clinton.
- WW3/ “Storm Area 51” Online Phenomenon
- WW3: Starting in January, this meme was the first major viral meme of 2020. Its spread was originally initiated by the political event of when Donald Trump had ordered an airstrike against top General Qassem Soleimani of Iran near Baghdad International Airport, sparking a slew of WW3 memes across social media. During the hype of the event, Trump said he was not seeking regime change, but ordered the attack to protect Americans. According to his exact words, ” “Under my leadership, America’s policy is unambiguous: To terrorists who harm or intend to harm any American, we will find you; we will eliminate you.”
- “Storm Area 51, They Can’t Stop All of Us”:
- This event, commonly referred to as Raid Area 51, Storm 51, or Area 51 Raid, was an American Facebook event that took place on September 20, 2019, at Area 51, a United States Air Force (USAF) facility within the Nevada Test and Training Range.
- The event, created by Matty Roberts on June 27, 2019, would involve raiding the site in a search for extraterrestrial life. More than 2 million people responded “going” and 1.5 million “interested” on the event’s page, which subsequently attracted widespread media reaction and caused the event to become an internet meme. Roberts later stated that the event had been purely comedic, and disavowed responsibility for any casualties if there had been any actual attempts to raid the military base.
- On the day of the event, only about 150 people were reported to have shown up at the entrance to Area 51, with none succeeding in entering the site.
- Rapper Lil Nas X released a music video for the Young Thug and Mason Ramsey remix of “Old Town Road” about the planned raid.
- Covid-19/Quarantine/Social Distancing
- On February 11, 2020 the World Health Organization announced an official name for the disease that is causing the 2019 novel coronavirus outbreak, first identified in Wuhan China. The new name of this disease is coronavirus disease 2019, abbreviated as COVID-19. In COVID-19, ‘CO’ stands for ‘corona,’ ‘VI’ for ‘virus,’ and ‘D’ for disease. Formerly, this disease was referred to as “2019 novel coronavirus” or “2019-nCoV”.
- The virus causing coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), is not the same as the coronaviruses that commonly circulate among humans and cause mild illness, like the common cold. It is thought to spread mainly from person to person, mainly through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or talks. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. Spread is more likely when people are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet). COVID-19 seems to be spreading easily and sustainably in the community (“community spread”) in many affected geographic areas. (Community spread means people have been infected with the virus in an area, including some who are not sure how or where they became infected.)
- Facemasks: Regarding personal methods of combating the pandemic, the public had been (and is still currently) advised to wear cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain, such as grocery stores, pharmacies, and gas stations. Cloth face coverings may slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others. Cloth face coverings provide an extra layer to help prevent the respiratory droplets from traveling in the air and onto other people.
- People with COVID-19 have had a wide range of symptoms reported – ranging from mild symptoms to severe illness. Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus. People with (but not limited to) these symptoms may have COVID-19: Fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea.
- Currently, statistics are constantly changing across dozens of states in the US, as the Pandemic is still going on right now. Youth across the nation have been advised by the CDC not to be a “covidiot” (someone who ignores the warnings regarding public health or safety).
- Please do keep in mind that, unaware to many, Covid is actually SUPPOSED to happen. It has been prophesied in the Bible within the chapters of Revelation 8 and 9.
- Of course, we all know that quarantine is used to keep someone who might have been exposed to COVID-19 away from others. Quarantine helps prevent the spread of disease that can occur before a person knows they are sick or if they are infected with the virus without feeling symptoms.
- Quarantine is still globally in place as of now
- Yet unbeknownst to many, quarantine has actually already happened in the Bible, multiple times. For example, in the book of Genesis, many describe Noah and his family as being the “first quarantined family.” Just as we are sheltering in place to preserve human life, God had quarantined Noah and his family, along with two of every kind of living creature inside the ark to save their lives.
- Social Distancing:
- Social distancing, also called “physical distancing,” means keeping space between yourself and other people outside of your home. To practice social or physical distancing, one must stay at least 6 feet (about 2 arms’ length) from other people.
- While people who are sick or know that they have COVID-19 should isolate at home, COVID-19 can be spread by people who do not have symptoms and do not know that they are infected. That is why (according to medical experts) it is very important for everyone to practice social distancing (staying at least 6 feet away from other people) and wear cloth face coverings in public settings.
- Social distancing is still being implemented globally as of now.
- Digital Learning
- Digital Learning is “learning facilitated by technology that gives students some element of control over time, place, path and/or pace.”
- It is a method of learning where learning is no longer restricted to the school day or the school year. The internet and a proliferation of internet access devices have given students the ability to learn anytime. Additionally, it is where learning is no longer restricted within the walls of a classroom. The internet and a proliferation of internet access devices have given students the ability to learn anywhere and everywhere. Learning is also no longer restricted to the pedagogy used by the teacher. Interactive and adaptive software allows students to learn in their own style, making learning personal and engaging. New learning technologies provide real time data that gives teachers the information they need to adjust instruction to meet the unique needs of each student. Lastly, learning is no longer restricted to the pace of an entire classroom of students. Interactive and adaptive software allows students to learn at their own pace, spending more or less time on lessons or subjects to achieve the same level of learning.
- According to the ideology of multiple school districts across the US, digital learning is more than just providing students with a laptop. Digital learning requires a combination of technology, digital content and instruction.
- From the perspective of students, digital learning had been quite a challenge to many, especially among high school and college students, who suddenly had to find new methods of self-learning and time management.
- Protesting/Police Brutality
- Killing of George Perry Floyd Jr.
- George Floyd (October 14, 1973 – May 25, 2020) was a black American man killed during an arrest in Minneapolis, Minnesota, after allegedly using counterfeit money to buy cigarettes. Derek Chauvin, a white police officer, knelt on his neck for nearly eight minutes. After his death, protests against police violence toward black people quickly spread across the United States and internationally.
- The nationwide anti-police brutality protests sparked by the killing of George Floyd in the US have been marked by widespread incidents of police violence, including punching, kicking, gassing, pepper-spraying and driving vehicles at often peaceful protesters in states across the country. The actions have left thousands of protesters in jail and injured many others, leaving some with life-threatening injuries.
- From Minnesota to New York, Texas, California, Washington DC and many places beyond, from small towns to big cities, police officers have demonstrated just how problematic law enforcement is in the US, drawing condemnation from international groups as well as domestic civil rights organizations.
- Numerous incidents of police violence have been exposed in disturbing videos and press accounts in recent days, with little sign that police are adjusting their tactics.
- Killing of George Perry Floyd Jr.
We are most definitely in the thick of the Last Days/End Times, for 2. Tim. 3:1 reads, “This know also, that in the last days, perilous times shall come.” It is time to wake up, Body of Christ. Now is the time to put all of our faith and hope in Jesus Christ, for it does not matter what trials and tribulations come, if we take shelter under the eternal wings of Jesus Christ, we will not be touched. Ps. 29:10-11 (KJV) reads: “The Lord sitteth upon the flood; yea, the Lord sitteth King for ever. The Lord will give strength unto his people; the Lord will bless his people with peace.”
Therefore, to end on a little bit of a lighter note for this week, despite the hardships of this year, I’ve chosen to share an originally produced sarcastic song/poem of mine, simply for the sake of spreading the “joy of the Lord” and brightening everybody’s day. What can I say, except, you’re welcome. I’m just an ordinary military girl! You’re welcome, you’re welcome.
Behold… I now present to you, “Ladada,” by Imani Julia Webb (aka me, the author):
Jesus Christ what is this society
Life was never meant to be a sole propriety
Social distancing causing us anxiety
All we wanna do is be safe for eternity
Something bout the love of God, what’d it do to me
All I used to care about in school was prosperity
But looking back that was a little elementary
Grown up now who’s gonna stop me
See the devil tail-tucked, scurry and flee
Looking pretty like a fluffy little peach tree
Living life with the Holy Spirit in me
A dozen problems buzzing past like a bumblebee
Future brighter than the great Carribean sea
Me smiling crazy like I been on a shopping spree
Everything changing from 2-D to 3-D….
Come a long way and it’s now 2020
Yet we only go from glory to glory
Praising God while I press for my degree
Pineapple bun legs kicked up carefree
Vertically challenged like a ripe little chickpea
Yet in the colony I’m always the queen bee
Apparel finer than the Marriott Marquis
And writing this song cuz with me it’s always jubilee…